Under Chapter 41, Section 55 of the Massachusetts General Laws, any town may authorize the Board of Selectmen to appoint a Town Accountant who shall perform the duties and possess the powers of town auditors as defined in Sections 50 to 53 inclusive.
The Town Accountant:
- Serves as the town's accounting officer in developing, implementing and supervising procedures for the control and accountability of the town's assets.
- Assists town officials in the preparation of budgets and the setting of the tax rate.
- Supervises the expenditures and revenues of all town and school funds, examines all vouchers, department bills and payrolls for accuracy, legality and availability of funds before payment by the Treasurer, oversees preparation and authorizes weekly town and school warrants for payroll and bills before submitting to the Board of Selectmen for approval.
- Prepares year-end financial statements as required by the Department of Revenue for the certification of Free Cash.
- Prepares and submits federal, state and town reports
|Catherine M. Gabriel||Town Accountant|
|Marion Wedge||Assistant Town Accountant|