IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM JRM Hauling & Recycling (effective 1/2018)
Recycling that has been contaminated by unmarketable materials is now a global problem. Residents continue to include diapers, wooden crates, gas jugs, paint cans, garden hoses, Christmas lights, and plastic bags in recycling receptacles. Please be reminded that JRM cannot accept non-recyclable items or plastic bags in with recycling material, and recycling may no longer be left out in plastic bags. This includes plastic bags that are advertised by leading manufacturers as recyclable. Plastic bags get tangled in the sorting equipment and are no longer acceptable in any recycling sorting facilities.
Recycling must be placed in a bin or container. Paper or paperboard must be placed in a bin or paper bag. Due to the current depressed recycling market conditions, the level of acceptable contamination for single stream is now at zero tolerance for any unacceptable items. Effective 1-1-18, JRM Recycling crews will be leaving plastic bags and other unacceptable materials behind with orange stickers to remind residents that they are not acceptable in with the curbside recycling. Please note that garbage bags, either placed in a barrel (with decal) or displaying a trash sticker may still be used for household trash collection.
Trash Collection and Recycling Information
- Removal of trash or recycling
- Related issues please contact JRM Hauling & Recycling: 1-800-323-4285
Topsfield has a Pay-As-You-Throw trash collection program. Topsfield is divided into three zones. Your zone determines the day of the week your trash and recycling are collected. Except during holiday weeks, trash and recycling are collected Wednesday, Thursday or Friday based on zones. During holiday weeks, trash and recycling collection are generally delayed one day. For example, if a holiday falls on a Monday, collections would take place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Reminders will be placed on the front page of the Town website.
To find your zone, click here for the zone listing by street.
Trash is collected every week.
- Each household is alloted one single yellow Trash Collection Decal which must be attached to the trash barrel which may not exceed 36 gallons or 40 pounds. The decal must be visible from the street when placed curbside by 7:00 a.m.
- Additional units of waste, either grabage bags or trash barrels not exceeding 36 gallons or 40 pounds, require a sticker. The sticker should be placed on bags or on the top item of the trash barrel. DO NOT place stickers on the barrel itself or on its cover.
- Trash in any barrel cannot extend higher than the water level or rim of container.
- Bulky items that do not fit into a 36-gallon trash barrel, or that weigh more than 40 lbs., require 2 stickers for collection. NO single item may be longer than 5 feet.
- Examples of how many stickers are required: fill another trash can and put a $2.00 sticker on the top bag, couch over 5 feet in length put 3-$2.00 stickers on item, king size mattress put 3-$2.00 stickers on it, twin size matress put 1-$2.00 on it, a desk, chair, small table, put 1-$2.00 sticker on it, bicycle put 1-$2.00 sticker on it, over-stuffed chairs/recliners put 2-$2.00 stickers on it. Not sure, put an extra $2.00 sticker on the item.
- Stickers may be purchased in any quantity for $2.00 per sticker at the Essex County Co-Op, Dawson's Hardware, and Country Farms.
- TV sets and Computer Monitors will not be picked up at the curb. (see Recycling Information for how to dispose of CRT's)
Recycling is collected every other week on the same day as trash collection.
The following recyclable materials are collected for recycling at the curb:
- Plastic Containers #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 that have been rinsed-out (except for bags/film)
- Unsoiled pieces of cardboard, newspapers, paperboard, junk mail
- Empty and rinsed-out glass bottles/jars, tin, steel and aluminum cans
- All items for recycling can go in one container EXCEPT paper items need to be separated out and in a separate container. You may use any receptacle of your choice denoting the receptacle with RECYCLE stickers that can be picked up at the Board of Health office (for no fee).
The following items should NOT be left curbside as recyclables, even if they have a symbol/number:
- NO Plastic bags (can be brought to supermarkets or large retail stores)
- NO Styrofoam
- NO Containers that still contain food or liquid, especially un-rinsed out jelly jars & syrup containers
- NO Loose bottle lids. Bottles do not have to have a lid to be recycled, but lids need a bottle to be recycled
- NO Soiled cardboard or paper products, example: greasy parts of pizza boxes
- NO Envelopes with plastic films
- NO Rigid plastics, such as children's toys
Please Note: recyclables should not be left inside a plastic bag. No plastic bags are acceptable either in or containing recycling. Place loose recyclable items in a container with a Recycling label on the front, or if paper, in a container or a paper bag.
Textile Recycling Information available at Mass DEP's Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory - for link click here.
Hazardous Material Collection Day will be at Masconomet Regional High School in the Fall, date to be announced.
Additional waste collection:
Large items (other than appliances, computers, TVs and hazardous materials) may be placed out with the trash with appropriate amount of stickers on them. Additional trash stickers must be attached to each large item.
Yard waste may be taken to the DPW Facility located at 279 Boston Street on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April through November. Christmas trees are collected at the same site after January 1st. Please check the website for exact dates and time. Starting in mid-April, residents may purchase one time use tickets for $10 each or a season pass for $75.00. The compost facility is for Topsfield residents only.
Household and White Goods Pick Up, 2018 date to be announced. This is a FREE collection; items must be curbside by 7AM the same day your trash is picked up. No trash stickers are required.
Household metal objects allowable include anything that contains at least 80% or more of metal. Items that are mostly wood or plastic with some metal will NOT be picked up.Items must NOT be longer than 6 feet. Some examples are, bicycles, lawnmowers, snowblowers (gas and oil must be removed) metal desks and gutters
Household white goods allowable include stoves, washers, dryers, micro-waves, dishwashers and dehumidifiers.
We will no longer be accepting items that contain freon (including freon 134a) such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc.
Please note that all gasoline powered appliances must have gasoline and oil removed for safety reasons.
Computers and TVs
We have an agreement with Boxford that Topsfield residents are permitted to take computer monitors and TV's to the Boxford Drop Off Recycling Center, 7 Spofford Rd, on Saturdays from 9am - 1pm. Fees apply. They are not to be included in the trash pick-up.
Waste Oil can also be brought to Boxford on Saturday from 8a.m. to 12p.m. A Voucher is needed and may be obtained in the Board of Health Office.
- For more info about what to bring and what not to bring to Household Hazardous Waste Material Day, please click on the link provided below.
- For other surounding cities and towns dates please click here