Are you buying a house in Topsfield, or do you have questions about your septic system?
The Topsfield Board of Health maintains current files on each residence in town. These files are available for public review during office hours. The Health Agent, Wendy Hansbury, is available to answer questions and offer assistance. Phone: 978-887-1520; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Topsfield Emergency Preparedness Handbook (pdf)
- Link to FEMA Information on Replacing Your Important Papers
- Link to CDC "Did You Know" Web Page
- MEMA Tips on Boat and Home Hurricane Preparedness
- MEMA Offers Power Outage Safety Tips
Sheryl Knutsen Named Topsfield Board of Health Chair in July, 2015 - Sheryl Knutsen MSN, RN, PHCNS-BC, a resident of Topsfield since 1978, has served on the Board of Health since 2003. Ms. Knutsen is a Registered Nurse and is certified by the ANCC (American Nurses Credentialing Center) as a Public/Community Health Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Ms. Knutsen has served in multiple Public Health related functions including the following:
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness Planner for twenty-nine communities including Topsfield.
- MassPro for six years, facilitating the Massachusetts Adult Immunization Coalition, organizing an annual statewide adult immunization conference, managing a program providing Medicare Advantage Health Plan reimbursement to local boards of health and community agencies for the administration of influenza and pneumococcal immunizations, managing a statewide flu clinic locator website, and coordinating statewide training programs on employee influenza vaccination.
- Public Health Nurse for the cities of Groveland, Gloucester and Newburyport.
- School Nurse for the City of Gloucester and Masconomet / Tri-Town Schools.
- In 2015, selected as a Fellow by the Local Public Health Institute of Massachusetts for demonstrated mastery of Public Health Practice; a committment to professional development; and a willingness to act as a steward for public health practice oin Massachusetts.
TIPS FOR HOLIDAY COOKING
Click here for tips from the USDA on safe holiday cooking.
Smoking Cessation: There is help! Click on the following link to the Mass. Department of Public Health Smoking Cessation Website:
Public Health News and Articles from Medscape news and other Publications (pdfs)
- FDA Proposes New Regulations to Ensure that Sunscreens are Safe and Effective. Click here for more information.
- CDC Flu Information Website. Click here to reach their website.
- Kinship Care Families - Across the country, millions of grandparents and other relatives have stepped forward to care for children whose parents are unable or unwilling to raise them. Click on this link for more information (PDF).
Medical Marijuana Articles
Public Health Miscellaneous
- FDA to Strengthen Regulation of Dietary Supplements
- FDA Takes Action Against Companies Illegally Selling Products Claiming to Treat Alzheimer's Disease
- Arsenic in Water Threatens Childhood Development
- Drinking In Middle Age May Lead To Cognitive Decline
- Modafinil For Alcohol Dependence - In Search of Solutions to An Epidemic
- The Genetics of Living Longer, Healthier Lives
- Just 10 Minutes! Getting Older Patients to Exercise - Editorial
- To Stop Lyme Disease, Vaccinate - Mice?
- Smoking Related To Diabetes - Doctors Should Help Patients Quit
- Pain Medicines for Pets - Know the Risks
- What Every Consumer Should Know About Class 1 Recalls
- Consumer Information from the US Government
- United States Government.
Articles About Fish Oil (pdfs)
- General Information on Fish Oil
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEMJ) Study on Effects of Fish Oil on Cardiovascular Patients
Cancer News (pdfs)
- Ask the Experts - Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Cancer
- US Cancer Screening Rates are Falling In Last Decade
- Destigmatizing Lung Cancer
- How To Solve Lung Cancer's Catch-22
- Refining The Value of Lung Cancer Screening
- Message from Dr. Sandra Fryhofer: Whom To Screen?
Men's Health and Prostate Cancer News
Women's Health and Cancer News (pdfs)
- Should States Be Setting Policy for Breast Screening Notification?
- Dense Breast Notification Laws
- Study Shows Pros and Cons of Dense Breast Notification Laws
- Ultrasound a Viable Screening Option
- Hormone Replacement - Timing is Everything
- Screenings Can Help Detect Cervical Cancer
- 1.3 Million Overdiagnosed in 30 Years
Regarding Generic Versus Brand Name Drugs (pdfs)
Regarding Children (pdfs)
- When To Give Kids Medicine for Coughs and Colds
- FDA Report on Babies Spitting Up
- No Evidence Multiple Vaccines Raise Autism Risk According to CDC
- Should You Put Sunscreen on Infants?
Topsfield Regional Medical Reserve Corps
- TRMRC Application (pdf)
Tick Borne Disease
The links below provide additional information from the official website of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- New Lyme Culture Test Failed FDA
- Tick Repellent (pdf)
- Babesiosis (pdf)
- Lyme (pdf)
- Anaplasmosis (Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis) (pdf)
Mosquito Control and Related Health Concerns
Please click here to access the Topsfield Board of Health Tick and Mosquito Information Page.